The artWorks program is open to current LAC members only.
Benefits to Venues
- Beautiful and exciting art on your walls!
- Exhibitions on your schedule.
- Support for local artists.
- Community outreach.
The artWorks committee reviews applications and publishes information about accepted artists and venues on the LAC website. The committee evaluates each potential venue to determine its suitability for the program, based on location, type of establishment, foot traffic, wall space, lighting, and a number of other factors. Once a venue is accepted, LAC staff work with them to identify artists to host based on overall appropriateness for the venue and the artists' ability to produce enough artwork for the space. Shows typically run 2-4 months, depending on venue preferences, season, and other factors.
The LAC website includes an online shopping system that allows patrons to purchase artWorks pieces on the spot using their smartphones. Venue staff are provided information on how to facilitate sales but do not actually handle any money. When a patron decides to buy a piece of art, they will use their smartphone to make the purchase on the LAC website. The patron will then show two receipts to a venue staff person, who must verify the particular item shown on an LAC-issued receipt, as well as the payment amount shown on a PayPal-issued receipt. Only then should the patron be allowed to take down and carry off the artwork.
Agreement and Responsibilities
By applying for this program you agree to the following terms and conditions:
- We will maintain our membership in the LAC for the duration of our participation in the program.
- We will provide at least two weeks notice if we must end our participation, and will expect two weeks notice if the LAC wishes to end our participation or to modify or end the artWorks program entirely.
- We will work with LAC staff to identify artists to host, based on our preferences and the artists' ability to produce enough artwork for our exhibit space.
- We will work with LAC staff to decide on and procure the best hanging system for our space, whether conventional nail and hook or something more elaborate. We understand that if nail and hook is chosen, neither the LAC nor any participating artist will be responsible for patching and/or painting the walls in our exhibit space.
- We will work with the LAC and the artists we host to schedule set up and take down of each show at mutually agreed upon dates and times.
- We will host an Artist's Reception for each show at a date and time convenient for all involved.
- We will identify the LAC as "program sponsor" in any publicity we release concerning the program and the shows we host.
- We will provide space for two framed items in addition to the artwork in each show: an artist bio and a poster about LAC and the artWorks program.
- We will work with the LAC and artists to replace any artwork sold during the shows we host, at mutually agreed upon dates and times.
- We will provide LAC with reliable contact information and promptly advise LAC if it changes.
- We will train our staff in the procedures for facilitating on-the-spot artwork sales, with a particular focus on the need to check both receipts presented by patrons who claim to have purchased a piece of artwork in our venue.
- We will make reasonable efforts to enforce a strict DO NOT TOUCH policy concerning all artwork while it is on display.
- We understand that no insurance is being provided by the LAC or any participating artist, and we assume full responsibility for any loss or damage to our exhibit space and other property that may occur as a result of participating in this program.
How to Apply
After you submit your application, please allow time for the artWorks committee to review it and get back to you with any questions or with a decision on whether you have been accepted into the program. We try to respond quickly and to maintain strong lines of communication during the review process, but it does take some time.
Once your application has been approved, your profile will appear in the list of participating venues and we will contact you to arrange your first show.