Auditions for "A Christmas Story" at StageCoach Theatre
Humorist Jean Shepherd’s memoir of growing up in the midwest in the 1940s follows 9-year-old Ralphie Parker in his quest to get a genuine Red Ryder BB gun under the tree for Christmas. Ralphie pleads his case before his mother, his teacher and even Santa Claus himself at Higbee’s Department Store. The consistent response: “You’ll shoot your eye out!” All the elements from the beloved motion picture are here, including the family’s temperamental exploding furnace; Scut Farkas, the school bully; the boys’ experiment with a wet tongue on a cold lamppost; the Little Orphan Annie decoder pin; Ralphie’s father winning a lamp shaped like a woman’s leg in a net stocking; Ralphie’s fantasy scenarios and more. A Christmas Story is destined to become a theatrical holiday perennial. Open to ages 8 - adult.
- Auditions Dates: September 14 from 7:30 – 9:30pm September 15 from 7:30 – 9:30pm Check website for updates.
- Auditions will be held on Sept 14 and 15 at StageCoach Theatre in Ashburn.
- Prepare a one-minute comedic monologue, preferably memorized. There will also be cold readings from the script. To reserve an in-person audition time, please use Sign-Up Genius on the website. Walk-ins will be seen as schedule permits. All auditionees who reserve an audition time should email a CURRENT photo or headshot and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. ALL auditionees should be available for callbacks on September 17 from 7:30 – 9:00pm if needed. Seven performances will be held from December 12 – 23. Ages 8+ with 7-8 roles for children and 5 roles for adults. Everyone cast will need to be at ALL performances and at ALL rehearsals during the two weeks prior to opening. This will include late nights; children and parents should plan accordingly.
Call for Artists - Materials Hard + Soft Contemporary Craft Competition
The Greater Denton Arts Council presents the 34th annual Materials: Hard + Soft International Contemporary Craft Competition and Exhibition. Materials: Hard + Soft is a celebration of contemporary craft and the creativity and innovation of artists who push the boundaries of their chosen media including: clay, fiber, glass, metal, paper, wood, or any combination of craft media. Juror is Pablo Barrera of the Oklahoma Contemporary will select pieces for exhibition in Denton, Texas and included in our online exhibition, store, and a printed catalog. Juror’s award prizes of $250, $500, $750, and $1,000 $30 entry fee for up to 3 entries.
- Deadline for receiving applications is September 30, 2020. Artists will be notified of selection mid-November.
- Exhibition will be held February 2-May 5, 2020 in Denton, Texas.
- More about the call and the application form can be found at dentonarts.com/mhscall